Stormwater Drainage and Compliance Presentation (MS4 101) 2018
Stormwater Management Plan 2018
- 720 Streets totaling 252 linear miles
- 127 miles of wastewater system
- 117 miles of stormwater system that drains into over 300 stormwater "outfalls" - a point where a conveyance of stormwater discharges into a stream, lake, or wetland.
Stormwater runoff is precipitation from rain or snow melt that flows over impervious surfaces and enters a storm sewer system and is discharged into the water bodies that we use for swimming, fishing, and providing drinking water.
Any surface that does not allow water to penetrate or pass through it is considered impervious. The roofs on homes and buildings as well as sidewalks, driveways and parking lots are all impervious surfaces. Rainwater and snow melt do not penetrate these surfaces, therefore they allow “stormwater runoff.”
Rain Barrel Program
The City of Westfield Department of Public Works has once again partnered with the Great American Rain Barrel Company of Hyde Park to bring back the rain barrel program. This program allows residents to purchase rain barrels at a discounted rate as part of the on-going community wide effort to conserve water and manage stormwater. Read more about the rain barrel program here.
As rain and snow melt flow over the ground, they may pick up pollutants such as debris, chemical, and dirt. These pollutants are then deposited into the storm sewer system and then are carried into water bodies. This water is untreated, and if it has picked up pollutants, this water along with the pollutants enters the water bodies and is considered “stormwater pollution.”
Stormwater Management Plan Control Measures
- Public Outreach
- Public Participation and Involvement
- Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination
- Construction Site Runoff Control
- Post Construction Stormwater Management
- Municipal Pollution Prevention and Good Housekeeping
To file an abatement with the Department of Public Works, please follow the instructions and and fill out the Stormwater Abatement Form.