Parks & Recreation

Park & Recreation Logo
Logo 1998 © Beth VanDerstine Graphic Arts Student Westfield Vocational High School

Parks & Recreation Department

The Parks & Recreation department is committed to enriching the quality of life through the promotion, development, and maintenance of public recreation and enrichment opportunities, park lands and related facilities.

History

The Parks Commission was established in 1929 and the Recreation Commission was formed in 1968. The two departments were created separately with two separate budgets and directors. The two departments were combined in 1998 under the auspice of the Parks and Recreation Deputy Superintendent who manages, controls and relays all maintenance requests.

new park square .jpgParker Park.jpg

Park Square "The Green" General Shepard Elizabeth Parker Memorial Park

Our Parks, Playgrounds and Cemeteries

The Parks and Recreation Department today offers more than 75 different programs year-round. The department is responsible for 11 playgrounds, 18 parks, 4 cemeteries, a skate park, three spray parks and the Dog Bark at Arm Brook Park.

Playgrounds:  

Arm Brook, Chapman, Hampton Ponds, Little River, Municipal, Papermill, Sadie Knox, Steiger Drive, Whitney & Boardman.

Parks:

Apremont, Sgt. John Hussy Memorial, Dowling, General Shepard, Highland, Holcomb, Kane/Wojtkiewicz, Half Mile Falls, Mary Noble, Park Square, Soldiers Monument, Stephen Budzak, Tekoa, Women’s Temperance, Woronoco Soccer Complex, Westfield Skate Park at Amelia Park, Cowles Court pocket park, White Street pocket park, Court Street Islands.

Cemeteries:

East Mountain Road, Mechanic Street, Middle Farms, Mundale.